Friday 20 January 2012

Is That Funny?

Hello again!

I've just finished watching a relatively amusing film & although I enjoyed it thoroughly I began to dwell on a couple of scenes that interested me.  I personally believe that film media can have an amount of influence on creative writing or it could be the other way round, nonetheless I think they support each other.  Anyway, what captured my intention is how accidents in film are conveyed.  In comedies, there are those moments where a character performs a comic move but it involves getting themselves hurt or in a bad state.  An example would be from the film 'R.V.' where Robin Williams' character tries to control the R.V. as it rolls down the hill & ends up drowning in the lake.  Of course, this is a laugh-out loud moment & someone would tell me that is simply funny & you need to stop considering the 'what if' side of things.  I'm not usually a 'what if' person but this thought kind of triggered a seminar discussion in my head.  However, is that funny?  Why is that funny?  Acting, facial expressions, dialogue & story come together to make the comedic moment work but if you were in that particular situation would it be funny then?  Why is it funny that Homer Simpson falls down the side of a steep cliff & wounds himself severely when in reality that could mean the death of that character?  Is it his screaming?  Is it because as an audience we all know that Homer Simpson is a cartoon character & there is no possible way for him to die?  Even if it is his screaming that's still horrifying to the point where it's not funny.  There are some things that as an audience we'll find amusing because of the way it is incorporated into some form of media.  I believe that books is not involved with this theory as you wouldn't laugh at say a character slamming their head into a door accidentally & then reading the description of how it hurts.  If you can, or if you want to type into the FuzzChat to give some other examples that are conveyed as funny, but are they really in reality?  How could we possibly utilize this technique into our story writing?  Food for thought!

I shall soon post a personal response to 'An African Affair'.

Thank you!
Fuzz 

No comments:

Post a Comment